pril is Sexual Assault Awareness Month and the theme this year is Prevention is Possible. The aim of the annual campaign is to raise public awareness about sexual assault and educate communities and individuals on how to prevent sexual violence. Teal is the official color of SAAM and the teal ribbon is the symbol of sexual violence prevention. You can also follow the conversation on social media using #SAAM.
Since 2001, the National Sexual Violence Resource Center has provided resources to help individuals and organizations plan SAAM activities in their communities and play a role in prevention throughout the year. In addition to the 2016 Campaign, their resources include Healthy Kids, Engaging Bystanders, Healthy Sexuality, Healthy Teens and College Campuses.
In honor of this important month, We Will Speak Out US is sharing five ways that your faith community can raise awareness.
- Encourage your faith leaders to get training.
- Make educational brochures and hotline sheets available in your gathering place.
- Organize a candlelight vigil or service for victims of domestic violence.
- Host a fundraiser for a local domestic abuse center or donate to WeWillSpeakOut.US.
- Share posts on your community Facebook page or other social media.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month Video by NSVRC